"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Mar 26, 2021

2013 - Reminiscing in Santa Fe

I love the Southwest, except for the snakes.  In addition to outrageous scenery it's got the best food and greatest artwork.  My first glimpse of the area was during a cross-country train ride around 1967, talk about a different time and place.  Native Americans on blankets with souvenirs sat alongside the railroad tracks.  At 12, I didn't know a thing about turquoise jewelry of course, but likely could have picked up some real bargains.

So after driving through more desert we hit Santa Fe to visit friends first met when I moved back to Oregon in 2010.  I was living alone in my 16-footer, trying to make a life for myself following my last breakup.  I was a mess and decided I needed a companion; and after investigation settled on a Bearded Collie.  I wanted a Disney-looking dog, NOT a Dalmatian; and contacted a 'Beardie' rescue outfit in the state.

"They're hard to come by and get scooped up pretty quick, but I'll keep your information," the man reported.

Blind Faith kicked in: I knew that my dog was waiting for me, so I'd wait until the right one came along.  In the meantime I was meeting new people, including Beth and Gary, who stayed a week in my RV park to visit local sights.  Look at the size of that rig, it had everything.  Beth and I hit it off immediately.

The Lutes invited me to accompany them to a matinee performance during Ashland's Shakespeare Festival, a real treat for me. Well wouldn't you know, the morning of the play I opened a desperate email:

"There's a Beardie named Cupcake in the Klamath Falls shelter--ACT FAST!"

You must be joking...what could I do?  Klamath Falls wasn't exactly around the corner, so I called my ex-partner, Cap, who lived near Klamath Falls and begged a favor; we still spoke at the time.  He agreed to go take a look, and after the performance I called to ask if he'd seen Cupcake.

"Cupcake was a Chihuahua, but they did have a Buttercup.  I brought her home, and if you don't want her I'll keep her; she's cute as hell."  Cap already had a Lassie Collie.

I drove over the mountain the next day and met my future house-mate.  I can't say it was love at first sight because she didn't quite look like the Beardie's I'd seen online; plus she totally ignored me and chased after Cap.

By this time Cap and I were just friends, so I stayed over so that Buttercup didn't suffer undue stress.  She'd already been abandoned by her original owners; then adopted-and-returned by a rancher hoping for a cattle dog, not her forte. Then to be picked up by Cap and snatched away after 2 days?  Seemed cruel to me.  Her original owners, from California, said they got tired of bailing her out of Doggie Jail.  She needs to be tied, the Shelter advised.

Well, after 12 years of living with Czar, who only needed to be leashed if there was a law, we decided to let her run free.  She loved it, and there were no problems until someone fired a gun somewhere.

Buttercup took off, ignoring our calls, and no enticement could stop her.  At 10 months old she was fast, and Cap and I quickly tired during the chase; he returned home to get his bike. He warned I'd better tie her after all but I tried again, just the two of us in a game of toss in the backyard.  Another gun shot (this is Oregon) and she displayed her fright-and-flight look.

Birdbath watering hole
It's amazing how quickly the brain can work. She didn't answer to Buttercup during the last chase so I needed to try something different. In an instant I considered then discounted B-Cup; can't walk around shouting that,  people might think I'm just bragging.  What ultimately came out was BC and she froze in her tracks; can't say whether it was the name or the volume but it stuck.  I didn't really like the name Buttercup, sounds too prissy, but back then the blog name, Travels with BC, was already taken.  Just as well.


When we returned to the RV park, Beth and Gary were there to greet and offer us a sweet puppy-gift bag.  After a few more days they continued down the road, so this was going to be three years later that we met.  

Their motorhome was more than comfortable, but eventually my friends tired of RV'ing and moved into a solid adobe in Santa Fe, our current destination.
It's nice to have friends that you can pick up where you left off.  BC and I stayed two nights, during which time I was treated to a wonderful dinner downtown, where I also drooled over various object d'art; in particular this pair of boots.  "I can do something like that," was stuck in the back of my mind.

While visiting, I touched up a piece of furniture which had become sun-bleached.  I try to offer something to repay hospitality, so I travel with my gourds and paints like a proper Starving Artist.

As far as BC goes, I prefer the expression, We rescued each other, for in our case it was true.  She was waiting for me; going through 2 different masters until I came along, and she certainly saved my sanity.  BC turned out to be a mix: part Border Collie and, one groomer suggested, part Tibetan Terrier; but whatever she is, I think I got my Disney Dog.

Here's something really strange which I just noticed now.  While selecting photos of my friends I saw them in front of what I thought was my current RV, dating my trip to 2016 (I visited then, too).  I assumed it was in the wrong file.  

But after careful deliberation of the photo info, plus jarring my memory, it wasn't mine after all, but a premonition of my future rig, tell me that's NOT freaky.  Now I remember admiring its small size before we took off.

So a good time was had by all...on to Texas, (still by truck), yee-ha!

To read from the start: Oregon to California.

Sign up to receive new posts as they're written, on the top-right side of the page. No obligation; no advertising; no kidding, thanks for reading and sharing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.