"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jun 27, 2019

Excuse me for speaking while you were interrupting

Last night's debate was pretty boring, don'tcha think?  I began to tune out when the first obscure candidate began interrupting and offering up profanities in order to bring attention to himself, and you could almost see it in the other's faces:

"That's it; civility gloves are off."

It took the women some time to try and act their equals but they just couldn't pull it off.  My ears aren't what they once were and I don't want to strain to understand answers as they cross-speak. And shame on (Lester Holt was it?), who said (sic),

"It's longer than the 60 seconds we've said was allowed, but (finally) there are differences in views and I wanted to listen."  I suspect what he really meant was:  finally we'll get some action to ramp up the ratings.

Don't they have a button to turn off the candidate's mic when time's up?  They did for the moderators, whose off-camera chatter was heard by the entire hall. They ought to have a computerized timer; then no one can get mad at anyone but the programmer.  It didn't seem fair.  The polite people drifted into the backdrop, but at least the field will be shrinking.

The title to this post was spoken to my mother at a dinner party.  Four church couples at the table and Sam was speaking when Mom interrupted.  As she told me after, Sam waited until she'd finished then spoke very calmly and deliberately.  She was mortified and I wish I could say she never interrupted again, but of course, she did, as many of us do.

But the stage of a presidential debate is not the place to act like a Jerry Springer show. I found myself forming opinions for reasons other than their words: how they'd look on the world stage; decorum; and finally can they beat Trump?  Not anyone on last night's stage to be sure, no matter their best intentions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.