"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

May 4, 2017

Goodwill Hunting

Aunt Cathy asked me to write a story she could read. I wasn’t certain if I’ve offended in previous prose, but now figure it’s just her quaint French way of speaking. So what’s my topic? Aahhh, the thing uppermost in my thoughts: my latest bargains.

Goodwill Hunting is my favorite pastime; and one addiction I can afford. Many ladies will identify a couple of these handbags immediately, but here’s a list with their Goodwill prices, left to right: Travelon cross-body traveling bag ($1.99); Jamaica Bay canvas tote ($5.99…spendy, but what I was searching for); Coach shoulder bag ($3.99); small Etienne Aigner straw bag ($2.99); and a colorful Cappelli Straworld beach bag ($3.99).  The Cappelli had a half-price tag and the rest were eligible for a 25% Senior Discount, so if my math is correct the whole shebang cost about $13. You’d be smiling, too.


Jill Luigs fabric art
I was shocked when I reached for a hobo bag and down dropped the little Coach, which is when I started paying more attention. In my NYC Working-Girl days, once a year employees were offered 50% discounts on all Coach products, so you can imagine my collection.  I no longer work in Manhattan and have rid myself of most bags, but I'm still drawn to them, and I have a cousin who collects. Inside the bag, along with the $3.99 sticker, was the Coach impression with the registration number. I kept waiting for the Purse Police to stop and make the correction.


You, too, can find Jones New York clothing, Clark shoes, Black and Decker tools and hand crafted quilts for under ten dollars; often under five, but you've got to have a bit of patience.  I picked up a single Roemer German wine glass, valued around fifty dollars, for two bucks; and while I don’t use it for wine, I eat my fresh strawberries and vanilla yogurt in style. Wealth is a state of mind.

I’ve wanted to learn calligraphy, as both parents did, so sure enough I found an unused kit for $8.99. It's a pretty small investment to discover whether or not I enjoy the medium. At the end of aisles, clear bags of this and that were neatly hung, and I spotted a rustic looking pottery inkwell with wooden stand for $1.99 (remember, all minus 25% Senior discounts). When I got home I found a paper rolled inside the inkwell:


This pot is typical of Salt Glazed Ware found in the 17th century foundaries unearthed at Williamsburg, VA.  Each form shaped by hand, the body burned to stone, the salt glaze fused on at white heat, make this ware unequaled in the field of ceramics.  

I won't guess what it cost in a gift shop, and if I don't continue with calligraphy I'll have a nice toothbrush holder. If I had a house (and didn’t want to teach myself), I’d set these aside as a gift for someone looking for a hobby.

Navigating cross-country with an addiction to Goodwill is difficult: they are countless and often close to my primary department store, Walmart. I dare not enter the similarly-stocked Salvation Army, church and charity shops which compete to distract passers-by like the peep shows on old 42nd Street.  I am drawn to other people’s work and appreciate their (generally underpaid) time and effort.  I especially enjoy giving a new home to funky items like the Jill Luigs quilt (above),which now separates the front seats of the RV from the living area. I turn her around while driving so she's facing forward, too.


Flaw on enamel
I’ve also wasted money on items which, upon closer inspection at home, are less than perfect, making the time it’ll take to photograph, post, and ultimately mail just not worth it. I now spend extra time in the store making certain the DVDs are actually inside the box; searching breakables for any flaws (like missing enamel on this Satsuma Egg); identifying knockoffs; and the ultimate qualifier: how much space is this gonna take inside my RV?  Sure, I made a profit on those Gone with the Wind collector plates but they took forever to sell; and the leather pants I couldn't resist in Virginia? They were  added to Nancy’s donation pile last winter in Tahoe. She didn't want them; nobody wanted them; why did I seem surprised?

My relatives, trying to downsize themselves, lament that they can't interest their children in their own stuff let alone mine. So what happens?  Much gets dispersed through Donation Lanes where strangers like me rescue family heirlooms, hoping for an Antiques Roadshow hit.

For economy's sake I check out Goodwills before I purchase space heaters, de-humidifiers, curtains, curling irons, cords for electronics, winter coats, sewing machines, keyboards even outdoor furniture; and I recommend you do, too. But beware:  Goodwill Hunting is habit-forming. Just grab a twenty, keep your mind OPEN to possibilities and have fun!

P.S. Many stores, if not all, have Military Discount Days each week, too. 

1 comment:

  1. Great story... Aunt Cathy will like it too!
    And I believe you are right about just going into Goodwill with a $20 bill though; there are just TOO many bargains. I just bought a little square lampshade for $2.99 I thought would work. I'd seen one for 10x that much. Alas, now I need to buy a different harp. Maybe I'll just try it on another lamp. (I seem to recollect Mom doing a similar kind of decorating...)

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.