"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Oct 21, 2013

BC's First Fight

It may not be Christmas yet, but I have something for which to be grateful nevertheless.

Note:  photos are from happier encounters.

On Columbus Day, BC was attacked by what I call a Santa Lucia dog.  I’m pretty good about identifying canines (except today’s Cock-and-Poodle designer breeds), but for me this dog was something new:  an Andolian Shepherd…haven’t got a photo…look it up.  Enormous.  My friends own the culprit, and two of her offspring guard the livestock next door.

“Whatever you do, make sure BC doesn’t get through the fence…they’ll tear her to pieces.  (Papillion) Zoey was almost a snack when she snuck through the gate.”

They look like they can easily leap over that 6 footer if they choose, but I was assured they won’t try; just don’t get into THEIR space.  Their owner/my landlady guessed that, upon proper introduction, the young male might be fine, but the older female would not be pleased at all.  Not a problem; I always keep BC tied when outside, since she sometimes bolts.

It was a beautiful Indian Summer morning, and I’d planned on helping my friend organize her greenhouse clutter.  This past summer I tackled Mom’s house, so I’m still in the groove.   BC accompanies me whenever possible, and doesn’t mind being tied to a tree with her water and blankie.  Five other dogs on the ranch property generally leave her alone after the initial bark-and-sniff.


 
But the sixth canine resident, whose job is to repel wolves and is usually contained during the day, was out.   Visiting grandkids left her gate open, and despite being a sweet, docile, in your face kind of dog on the back porch, apparently if she doesn’t want to go back inside the pen, there’s no gettin' her in.  She’s the size of the Hound of the Baskervilles.

During the past three years Harika and BC have never met, so I decided to check with my friends before letting BC out of the truck.  His thought was it would be alright, they’d work it out; but she was not as convinced and followed me out to supervise.

Segue:  Due to the numbness in my hands and arms, I was frequently dropping BC’s retractable leash; so I attached an oversized loop of satin decorator cord to the handle, which I toss over my head and one arm.  I was in the process of hooking her up when Harika came snooping, and, suddenly nose to nose, hormones exploded.

It was terrifying.  I just remember spinning in an attempt to protect BC’s neck, screaming, “No, no;”  the words, “tear her to pieces” ringing in my head.  My friend was also uselessly hollering while trying to get Harika under control, but no sooner were they separated momentarily that she'd go after BC again.  I became tangled in BC’s leash until I was tossed onto the ground in the melee; they were finally separated long enough for me to untwist and get BC back into the truck.  Harika just circled and kept following me; unnerving, to say the least.

I checked BC over and she seemed alright; wasn’t whimpering or favoring any part of her anatomy.  Unbeknownst to me at the time, we were both in shock.  I cut short my visit and took her home, where she commenced to shiver and would not move.  Like people who lift cars in emergencies, my adrenaline allowed me to pick her up and carry her in and out of the house.  She’s a bit chubby, so that was no easy feat.  Upon closer inspection (she’s got a wool undercoat), I found two puncture wounds in her shoulder blade but nothing else other than dried drool, yuk.

I’m afraid, because of my religious upbringing, I am utterly useless at First Aid.  My friend came for a look-see and agreed that BC appeared spooked but not injured seriously; she’ll probably be sore for awhile, and retreating for a time is normal canine behavior.  Remember, she said:  there’s the victor and the vanquished.  BC, bless her, is definitely an Alpha Female, and wants to lead.

How ‘bout me?  No problems; I bounce well.  But my anguish over what did and what might have happened undoubtedly affected BC’s recovery.  She hardly moved for 3 days.

“Get back to acting normal,” my friend chided.  Thanks, I needed that mental slap.  Getting BC out of the house of her own accord was finally accomplished only when she thought she’d miss a road trip.  Her desire to stick her head out the window overcame her temporary fear of open spaces, but she still refuses to jump out the back of the truck, where the attack began.

Despite momentary flashes of fangs and the horrible growls and yelps of a dogfight, I had no fear for my own safety.  But now that I’ve had time to think about it, it’s gonna take time for me to relax when I’m out, too.  I’ll not be introducing BC to any dog larger than something I can kick the shit out of.  For awhile, at least.

Not the brightest when it comes to animal behavior, but in hindsight, Harika probably thought I was under her protection and the dogs were not properly introduced; certainly there were other factors.  I learned one valuable lesson:  not to be overly-trusting of a sweet dog.

Dogs will be dogs, but my ignorance put BC in that volatile situation, and I’ll have the big G for that for a long time.  Fortunately she’s forgiven me and is back to her old self, more or less.

The Vet said BC was very lucky, based on similar attacks.  Minor infection in one puncture; easily cured with antibiotics.  What about her nerves, I asked?  Got some drugs for her; for me?  I need a Dog Whisperer.  She laughed and related a story about her own dog, traumatized following an attack:

“He had once a week play-dates with a big, old, dopey dog (under owner supervision).  Took a year, but eventually the dog stopped fearing and showing aggression towards other dogs.”

We’ll give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.