"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Sep 22, 2013

Simple Pleasures

You’ve seen stickers proclaiming, “My Rescue Rescued Me,” and it’s often true.  Was in my case, and I repeat that acquiring BC was one of the smarter things I’ve done in my life; required me to get up and out each day at a time when I needed real incentive.

I’m having the same result from not having Internet connection available inside my home.  I tend to be a hermit, so while I may only need to take the laptop to the end of the lane, I figure as long as I’m driving, I might as well explore the surrounding area.  So I throw BC in my now-empty truck and head for a local lake, park or just the library parking lot and use my portable modem.  No spare Giga-whatevers to download or stream for any length, but it’s enough to post dribble and check emails.  And, most importantly, it gets me out and about, but I still try to combine errands to save gasoline.
You know you're getting old when you attend a Walmart Opening Day festivities.  Even took pictures, dweeb that I am.  But you never know when you may have another opportunity, and I've lived my life decidedly NOT wanting regrets 10 years down the road that I didn't do something or other.  I said the same thing before that Philadelphia Star Trek Convention in the '80s, but that's another story.
North Medford’s Walmart, closed for many months, just reopened on September 11th.  I've deleted my snide remarks, but include that comment lest you think I'm all advertising.


What a pleasure not to have to dig for an item; every single inch was fully stocked and beautifully organized.  Won't see it gleaming like this again!  Employees, already in training for three weeks (a cashier explained), were quick to offer assistance.

“Sir, can I help you find something?”
“I’m looking for my wife.

In New Jersey, I had to drive 30 minutes, minimum, to get to a Walmart; longer for one of their Superstores.  Here in Oregon, they’re spaced apart every 10 or 15 minutes.  One local city held their ground and refused permission for yet another one, so Walmart owns vacant, prime real estate right off the Interstate.  I’m sure they’re just biding their time.

A more poignant event was the other morning at the lake, when I was startled while checking emails in the back of the truck.  The young gal suddenly appeared with two dogs, leashes dragging on the ground, yet they remained close to their mistress.
Beautybug Hairdryer,
second makeover


“Hello, Sister,” she began.  Was she joking?  I tried to size her up, but she was too unusual for words.  Less than 5-feet tall with a short crop of blond hair, she looked to be in her 20’s.  She wore a modest bikini top, cutoff shorts and button-down shirt (the temperature was still in the 90’s).  No shoes and a funny straw hat.  Completing her ensemble: a pair of oversized plastic sunglasses, with lenses resembling an insect’s.

“Is the lake safe for dogs to swim?”

I tried taking BC closer last week, but the dry, cracked mud quickly led to softer gook, which got between BC’s toes.  A pain to clean up, but I thought the water was probably OK.  And it was the only lake around, I ignorantly remarked.   It’s the Lake Region…they’re everywhere.

She opted for Crater Lake, which might as well have been the moon, and off she went.  Afterwards I was ashamed of myself for immediately being alarmed by her appearance.  I keep saying that I refuse to spend the rest of my life greeting everyone as a potential threat, so my only excuse is that I just got back from New Jersey, which speaks volumes.

Her shoeless condition bothered me, and I remembered the used Reefs stashed in the back of the truck, in case I needed a spare pair of shoes.  Still in good shape, I was tired of them but couldn’t throw them out.

So I finished my computer non-business, drove down the road, hopped out, and asked if she could use a pair of sandals.

“I can!”  She was wearing shoes by then, but they were soft canvas with colorful embroidery, and wouldn’t have made the trip.   She slipped on the Reefs, gave me a big smile with, “Thanks, Sister,” and we went our separate ways.

You never know...I hadn’t realized the need for an extra pair of shoes might be someone else’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.