"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Aug 31, 2012

Undiscovered Masterpieces


Gourd Faberge Egg, 13" tall
My Faberge Gourd Egg gets lots of views, but the story about how I created this piece can be found in a later blog, titled My Egg.   But feel free to continue this piece written when I first struck out on the road...

I have one thing I’ll bet lots of you don’t, and its value is priceless:

My own Library Card.

Having just received a packet of mail at my current RV residence, collected by a friend, I was able to prove my existence and issued a nicer card than my health plan.  It even has my own, I assume, UPC code.  I see we’re one step closer to having identification chips inserted into our wrists for ease of scanning.

Where was everyone when science fiction movies turned into reality?  Me, I was snorkeling, so I take no responsibility.

The beach at Guanica
That’s the problem with a lifestyle like mine, but enough.  I don’t own a television and my only outside entertainment is via my Dell, so I decided to borrow movies from the library; something I did not know until recently was possible.

Having missed so many years of blockbusters, I’m always confident that I’ll be able to find SOMETHING I haven’t seen.  Yet I enjoy re-runs for background noise; I don't need to pay attention except to my favorite parts.

Not surprisingly, the library’s selection is predominantly older G/PG movies; the ones I grew up with, plus classics like Ben Hur, Gone with the Wind and Psycho.  Ten per visit?  Perfect, except I’ll never get anything done.

I’m afraid that’s partly true as I binge on celluloid.  I find my hand making selections as if using a Ouija Board.  Here are a few choices:

Look Ma, I can Photoshop, too!
Auntie Mame:  the original, with Rosalind Russell.  I grew up in a household full of such enthusiasm.

Around the World in 80 Days (the original):  no doubt because of the festival last weekend, but it was filmed when people were unable to see exotic locations at the flip of a Samsung, and a rare treat at the time.  The colors are gorgeous, and the cameos are fun to look for.   I took a balloon ride when I was younger and flush with cash…highly recommend the experience.  Splurge on the grandkids at a festival; they even have a tethered balloon for tiny tikes.

Absolutely Fabulous:  a BBC comedy series ('92 to '12) about two outrageous women.  Hysterical, especially if you've ever battled the bottle, Sweetie-Darling.

Thelma and Louise:  I was shocked to see in the movie that one of the lady’s birth dates plastered on the screen was identical to my own.  At first I felt like one of those weird movies in which an inanimate object suddenly comes alive, like Harvey, or Hal.  I had to rewind, but yes, there it was.  You’d think I’d have caught that the first time ‘round; most likely I just forgot, but I did remember their spectacular ending.  What’s the topic?

Four Seasons Panels
Right.  I even borrowed my first book on tape by Larry McMurtry.  Westerns influenced me, too, from Little Joe and his Pinto to Gus McCrae and Woodrow.  Mom just can’t understand that, but she’s still kicking up her heels with Fred and Ginger.  In her 20’s, she was a dance instructor for Arthur Murray in NYC.  Went to Virginia Beach for a dancing exhibition; no evening gowns until, miraculously, the last moment.  It's one of my favorite stories, but when I tried digging for details, she declared,

“Just as long as you don’t splash me across whatever.”  Too bad she can’t appreciate the 2 hours I just spent teaching myself layers in Photoshop to preserve her privacy.

Oh, it’s a terrific story and one I’ll put aside for now.  The part which influenced me directly was how she tried throughout my childhood (unsuccessfully) to teach me the fine art of ballroom dancing.  I always tried to lead.  Good thing Rock and Roll came along.

Lust for Life is the story of Vincent van Gogh, starring Kirk Douglas.  One of the nice things about watching all these old movies again is that this time, I’m catching and appreciating (most of) the nuances which my naiveté prevented the first go-around.  Plus now I use Closed Captions.

Found it!
My sister has compared herself to Vincent’s brother, Theo, not only in her financial support but psychologically, too.  Hillary has always been there ready to pick me up when I’ve fallen, just like a big sister should. Unfortunately, the only things I have to supply in return besides love is entertainment, and a cool place to visit once in awhile.  I hope my ending is not like Vincent's.

Somewhere I have a photo of the three of up using shawls as props, singing along to Fiddler on the Roof, back in the 90’s.  Sis made me promise to keep doing that in our ‘80’s, but she doesn’t know it’ll have to be longer than that.
Recently discovered watercolor

I found this masterpiece (R) while cleaning out Mom’s basement.  I wish I could say it’s something for the Antiques Roadshow, but no, it’s mine from 1st grade, and the only way it’ll be on that show is after I’m dead, which won’t be for a long time.

How do I know?  Haven’t you heard:  “The more you complain, the longer God makes you live.”


Author's note 2021:  My Faberge Egg is now available in a greeting card on my Etsy shop, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Love, entertainment and a cool sister to visit - what more could I possibly want except a lot more wonderful memories with you?

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.